Chimpanzee tracking in Nyungwe Forest National Park: Chimpanzee tracking is one of the most popular activities in Nyungwe National Park. It is a unique opportunity to observe one of our closest relatives in their natural habitat. Chimpanzee tracking is conducted early in the morning and is a full-day activity. Visitors are required to be physically fit and to wear appropriate clothing and footwear.
What to expect during chimpanzee tracking in Nyungwe Forest National Park.
Here is an overview of what you can expect during chimpanzee tracking in Nyungwe Forest National Park:
- Early Start: Chimpanzee tracking starts early in the morning, usually around 5:30 am. Visitors are required to gather at the park headquarters to meet their guide and receive a brief orientation.
- Hike through the Forest: The hike through the forest to find the chimpanzees can take anywhere from 2 to 5 hours, depending on the location of the chimpanzees. The hike is often challenging and can involve steep climbs, so visitors should be physically fit.
- Observing the Chimpanzees: Once the chimpanzees are found, visitors are allowed to observe them for a maximum of one hour. This is an incredible experience, as you get to observe the chimpanzees as they go about their daily activities, such as foraging for food, playing, and socializing.
- Return to Park Headquarters: After the hour of observation, visitors will return to the park headquarters for a picnic lunch.
- Conclusion: Chimpanzee tracking is a unique and unforgettable experience, providing visitors with the opportunity to observe one of our closest relatives in their natural habitat. It is also an important activity that supports the conservation of chimpanzees and their habitat in Nyungwe Forest National Park.
It is important to note that chimpanzee tracking is a regulated activity, and visitor numbers are limited to ensure the safety of both visitors and the chimpanzees. It is recommended to book your chimpanzee tracking experience in advance to ensure that you get a spot.